Suffer from loose stools and uncomfortable to sit. Treated with reflux with ranitidine. Should I see a doctor?

Pediatrician
Question
Hi my daughter is 4.5 months old, exclusive breast fed, has super shiny mustard loose poo and constantly looks uncomftable when I try and sit her up - she does not sleep for long periods in the day but sleeps for 5 hours at night. She is drooling and finger biting, she was also treated for reflux with ranitidine but I stopped her as she was only pooing 1 a week and very grumpy the day before she pooed. Now she's pooing slimy mustard yellow poo daily - should I see my doctor tomorrow ? I can't remember the last seedy poo
Posted Wed, 17 Jul 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 48 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

From your query I gather that your daughter started loose motions from yesterday. Kindly correct me if I am wrong. Kindly let us know the following:
1. Frequency of loose motions?
2. Is she passingurine adequately?
3. Any change made in her feeding/eating lately?
I would suggest that you can wait for another 24 hours but ensure that she is well hydrated. In case she is passing motions more than 5-6 times a day then you need to see the doctor. However a stool routine examination would be advisable.

As you mentioned that she has started finger biting it is most likely that she has contracted some infection.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarifications or would like to share more facts.

Wishing your daughter an early recovery.

Rajiv K Khandelwal
http://goo.gl/SuCjl

Follow-up: Suffer from loose stools and uncomfortable to sit. Treated with reflux with ranitidine. Should I see a doctor? 5 minutes later
Hi

She's breast fed

She has always had loose motions

They have become mucasy / slimy / shiny

She passes them 1 a day

She looks in discomfort before she passes them / they sound explosive

She feeds as normal

No sickness

She raises her legs to her tummy

She does not like to be touched on tummy / prefers to be upright

Finger and hand biting and really itchy red congested nose (not runny but dry sniffly)

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 6 minutes later

Thank you for the update.

You mentioned that your daughter has itchy red congested nose which can be the starting of an upper infections one can have a change in the stools and the condition is known as parenterla diarrhoea. As she is passing one stool per day you need not worry.

I suggest that you keep a watch on the dry sniffy nose and may start a decongestant cough syrup to relieve the symptoms.

I hope I have clarified your doubts. Please feel free to revert back for any further clarifications.

Rajiv