Suffer from hypertension. Reading mostly remains 140/90. Do not smoke or drink alcohol. How do I reduce blood pressure?

HIi,Doctor I am 37 years old male and suffering from hypertension since 2012. My B.P. reading remains mostly at 140/90. Sometimes 130/90 and very often it goes up above 140/90. My height is 5 feet 4 inches only and weights about 55.I don't smoke and don't drink alcohol but sometimes takes paan(betel nut). What shall i do to reduce this high blood pressure and what clinical test can be done to diagnose the causes of this disease?

Please help.

Posted Tue, 16 Jul 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 30 minutes later
Dear patient

thanks for your concerns.

1) the best initial aproach to your high blood pressure is to try a commited trial of the following changes for 3 months: weight loss, eating only 2 grams of salt a day, aerobic regular physical activity of at least 150 minutes weekly. If at the end of that trial your bloodpressure is still 140/90 or higher you will need to start one medication for blood pressure

2) most of the cases of high blood pressure are essential, meaning there is no secondary cause, but the most common causes of secondary hypertension are chronic kidney disease, obesity, obstructive sleep apnea and hyperaldosteronism. you can talk to your doctor to see if he suspects any of these at the end of your trial

Truly yours

Dr Brenes Salazar MD
Mayo ClinicMN
Follow-up: Suffer from hypertension. Reading mostly remains 140/90. Do not smoke or drink alcohol. How do I reduce blood pressure? 19 hours later
Hi,Doctor just now i checked up my B.P and it is at around 120/80. Why is so happens that my blood pressure used to fluctuate? Is there any danger lies in this?
Another question is whenever i am in tension my blood pressure used to goes up?What shall i do to manage my tension to control my blood pressure?
Finally,sometimes i find difficult to remain in standing position due to loss of balance.Is this because of high B.P?

Please help.
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 5 hours later
thanks for the follow up

1) it is completely normal and expected for blood pressure to vary at different times during the day; this is related to the fact that blood pressure is maintained by pulsatile stimulation from the nervous system

2) it is true, tension increases blood pressure. I have seen that yoga is the best exercise to control this

3) unlikely that the imbalance is due to high pressure on the contrary it could be because of a drop in blood pressure with prolonged standing; compression stockings can usually help

yours truly