Ask a Urologist   »  

Suffer from erectile dysfunction. Taking medication for UTI. Prescribed Levoday. Remedy?

Jul 2016

This is regad to erectlie dysfunction..I am suffering from this since last 2 weeks after taking medication for Urinary PUS infection & prescribed Levoday 500mg along with other medicines. Please suggest. Is this is due to Testosterone deficiency?

Around 7 years back, i was treated by a urologist when i had difficulty in having a baby. There was no issue with Erectile Dysfunction, but doctor suggested that sperm count was less & also the deficiency in Testosterone..So Doctor prescribed medicines & after that i am now father of two daughters with age 6 & 2.5 years. Now suddenly 7 years later after taking the medication for Urinary Pus infection treatment, i felt the erectile dysfunction problem..

Please provide your valuable guidance.
Posted Sat, 27 Jul 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 2 hours later
Thanks for your query.Based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have acute urinary tract infection for which you were taking Livoday (Livofloxcin)
Livofloxacin is an antibiotic commonly used for treatment of UTI and it is not known to have side effects like erectile dysfunction.

Your present erectile dysfunction could be due to Prostatitis with UTI.

Get your urine culture done to find out the organisms causing this infection and antibiotics to which they are sensitive to.
Take antibiotics as per culture report to get immediate relief.

Your problem of erectile dysfunction will get resolved once your UTI is cured.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask me I shall be happy to help you

Follow-up: Suffer from erectile dysfunction. Taking medication for UTI. Prescribed Levoday. Remedy? 7 days later
Hello Doctor

I have consulted a urologist. He suggested to do the following tests. I am furnishing the test results along with this.

1)LH----4.39 mIU/ml
2)Testosterone Fre-----0.448 nmol/L
3)SHBG (method:ECLIA)-----15.45 nmol/L
4)Free Testosterone Index----98.59%
5)Bio-available testosterone----10.5 nmol/L
6)Testosterone Total----1.58 ng/ml

Urine Routine

1) PUSCELLS----1-2 /HPF
2) EP CELLS----1-2 /HPF

After analysing the result, he suggested me to undergo the following tests

1) Penile Doppler Scan
2) O2C

Could you please suggest,
a) Whether my Testosterone levels are OK?
b) Do i really need to undergo Penile Doppler Scanning & O2C?
c) Urine Pus cell =1-2 /HPF. Do i still have UTI?
d) Is PD scanning is painful?
e) Whether any medication can solve my problem?

Please give your valuable advice. Expecting your earliest reply.

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 35 minutes later
Thanks for follow up.
it is difficult to make comments about testosterone levels as it differs from the lab to lab and by different methods used by the lab for estimation and has to be compared with reference range of the laboratory where it is done. It might have been mentioned in the report .Your Urologist will verify it while going through reports.

Penile Doppler scan is done to find out whether the cause of E.D is vascular origin either arterial insufficiency or venous occlusion.It is not painful.

O2c is test done after giving Sildenafil and testing the quality of erection.It helps in majority of patients.
Presence of 1-2 puss cells is not abnormal.
Thanks and Regards.

You can take Viagra on demand ant observe the results of the medication yourself.
Follow-up: Suffer from erectile dysfunction. Taking medication for UTI. Prescribed Levoday. Remedy? 23 minutes later
Hello sir,

Thanks for your advice.

I am hereby mention the range (in bracket) specified by the lab.

1)Free Testosterone-----0.448 nmol/L (Normal Males:0.204-0.637)
2)SHBG (method:ECLIA)-----15.45 nmol/L (Normal Males(20-50years)-14.5-48.4)
3)Free Testosterone Index----98.59% (Normal Males(20-50years)-33.5-106)
4)Bio-available testosterone----10.5 nmol/L (Normal Males:4.78-14.9)
5)Testosterone Total----1.58 ng/ml (Adult Male-2.8-8.0)

From the result, the Testosterone Total is below the range. Please advice on this & how to improve this.
Also could you please tell the ED is due to the low Testosterone Total?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions..
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Thanks for writing again.
Single reading of low Testosterone can be considered as a cause of Erectile Dysfunction.As such it is hypogonadism and not low testosterone that can cause the ED

Please repeat it again preferably in the morning and consult qualified urologist for taking testosterone supplements if needed.
Thanks and Regards.