Suffer from compressed disc in l-spine. Getting numbness in back, buttocks and groin area. Any suggestions?

Spine Surgeon
Hi Doctor,

I suffer from compressed disc in my l-spine (This was confirmed by an MRI of spine). Due to this, i get numbness around my back, buttocks and sometimes it even reaches upto my groin. I'm currently doing exercises suggested by physiotherapist to releive the compression. But, meanwhile i'm worried if the numbness will cause any permanent nerve damage.

Are there any ill effects of this numbness. Kindly suggest.
Posted Sun, 11 Nov 2012 in Osteoporosis
Answered by Dr. Rahul D Chaudhari 1 hour later

Compression of the nerve in lumbar spine usually causes numbness in legs.

May I know how frequently the numbness happens? Is it seen transiently and recover or persistent.
Is there any weakness in the legs (lower limbs)?

I also need to correlate with the MRI findings with clinical symptoms as to understand the level of compression. Please upload the MRI films and report if possible.
You can use the site's uploader to post the reports. Alternative you can mail them to my attention (Attn: Rahul Chaudhari) and send it across to YYYY@YYYY

I will be able to comment better after receiving your reply (details and MRI films/report).

Awaiting your reply...

Best Wishes