Suffer from cold and get throat infection. Suggest house old medicine?

I have been in the USA since this Monday evening. While on the flight to the USA, I started getting indications that I was about to get a throat infection (maybe i had drank some cold water). On top of this, I am suffering from cold since the last 10-15 days (sneezing and blocked nose in Bangalore)

The cough got severe yesterday and I let out a lot of phlegm yesterday night (at least 15 times). The cough is marginally better now. I dont yet want to consult a physicianm in the USA unless urgent. Is there any other household medication (except gargling..which I keep doing) that will benefit me?
Posted Wed, 24 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 3 hours later

Gargling with CHLORHEXIDIN solution is a best remedy. If you are done with gargling, taking a pinch of turmeric with a glass of milk would be beneficial.

Steam inhalations with eucalyptus in it is another best remedy.

If the symptoms are worst, do take a dose of Benadryl which can alleviate the symptoms in no time.

Hope, I answered your query.

Please let me know if there are any other concerns.