Suffer from chronic hemorrhoids. What should I do?

I am 21 years old and suffer from chronic hemorrhoids. What should I do ?
Posted Fri, 26 Jul 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Guru 1 hour later

Most commonly people between ages of 20 to 40 are effected by hemorrhoids. And the most common cause is constipation because of inadequate fiber intake in diet.

There are different treatment options like cryotherapy, rubber band ligation and sphincterotomy etc but prevention is best treatment by the way.

Regarding your problem of chronic hemorrhoids, I think you meant recurrent hemorrhoids, I suggest you few things. As prevention is the best treatment and constipation is the most common cause, your diet should contain plenty of dietary fiber which means eating plenty of fresh fruit, XXXXXXX fresh vegetables, whole grain cereals, leafy vegetables etc. Avoid using laxatives and also fatty, oily and junk foods. Take more amount of water like about 2 to 3 liters a day if you to not have any contraindications to do so. Moreover, if you have constipation frequently instead of all these measures, consult a gastroenterologist to identify the cause of chronic hemorrhoids.

Please let me know if you have any further queries!

Hope this helps!

Follow-up: Suffer from chronic hemorrhoids. What should I do? 11 minutes later
I have been taking a lot of fiber regularly and I also avoid junk food and oily stuff, but still the problem doesn't solve. Can it be possible that over use of hemorrhoid cream has resulted in this never ending problem? May be if I will tell you a little more about the problem, you might be able to guide me better.
I have this problem for the past 3 years. Initially I did sitz bath, used laxatives and the hemorrhoid cream. The problem resolved in 14 days. But as I lift heavy weights, the problem resurfaced. This problem kept on repeating. First I would cure the problem and then when I would hit the gym, it would resurface again. For 3 long years, I have been using the hemorrhoid cream again and again. But this time, I haven't been to the gym for the past 6 months but still the problem doesn't go away.
I am really tired of being under constant pain, time after time. My diet is clean as a whistle, I drink almost 4 liters a day, walk everyday for 1 hour. I don't understand where I am going wrong. I have consulted many times but the doctors would always say that weight lifting has nothing to take with the problem. I just don't understand what is the solution to this.
If you could clear my doubts, I would be really grateful.
Answered by Dr. Guru 44 minutes later

Thanks for the update and follow up!

You said that the treatment taken included sitz bath, use of laxatives and hemorrhoid cream. These are just conservative treatment options for hemorrhoids. But, the mainline treatment options for hemorrhoids include cryotherapy, rubber band ligation and sphincterotomy etc. So, the problem would not have been completely treated. A general surgeon is the best doctor for treating these kind of problems.

Regarding lift heavy weights, though it may be the actual cause of hemorrhoids, but leads the hemorrhoids to swell up and make symptoms worse temporarily. So, I advice you to see a general surgeon to get proper and complete treatment for this.

Hope this helps!
Follow-up: Suffer from chronic hemorrhoids. What should I do? 3 minutes later
I have been considering getting it surgically removed for quite a while. I just want to ask, how long does it take for a person to recover after these procedures. I mean, is it a one day procedure or does a person have to stay in the hospital for recovery for a few days?

Thanks for the info.
Answered by Dr. Guru 1 hour later

Good question! Usually these procedures require about 2 days of hospitalization and approximately within 7 to 10 days you will be fit to go to office provided there are no complications.

Hope this helps!