Suffer from body weakness and panic attacks. Diagnosed with viral infection. Suffer from nausea. Suggest?

General Surgeon
After a head cold late April, I started suffering from body weakness and panic attacks. Blood tests didn't show anything, but initially I was diagnosed with a viral infection. Since end of april/May I feel better, no weakness, but I get mental fatigue very easy from reading and it causes anxiety after being on a computer working. My legs sometimes feel jittery, Ive slight anxiety, but not all the time, aches and twitching at back of head. My stomach also feels very tight on occasions where I'm holding my breath. My main symptoms seem to be when walking it feels as though my coordination is slightly off. When i'm on a computer, I suffer from slight nausea and a swimming feeling after about 10mins. If I spend to long say marking assignments for work it seems to put my body in a flight or flight response of stress. Before April I was under a lot of stress, and not resting much on weekends competing my PhD. My diet was also poor, but since may ive switched over to a high protein diet.

My nutrionist believes I have adrenal fatigue after she conducted a pupil dilation test, but my GP believe its to be free floating anxiety. Before April, my health was excellent. Ive not been checked for blood sugar levels though.
Posted Fri, 9 Aug 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 1 hour later
Hi ! I am Dr Shareef answering your query.

Although most of your symptoms look to be as a result of your anxiety and stress, I am concerned about the dis coordination in your gait (walk). As you have been working a lot on computers, your posture is also important and do you get any pain in your cervical region after long work hours ?

If your symptoms persist, then I would suggest you to take an appointment with a neurologist who may advise you for an MRI brain after an initial clinical examination just to exclude any pathological entity for your problems.

In the meanwhile, you can consult your family physician for some anti anxiety drugs which will give you a good night's sleep which may relieve your symptoms. Also get your blood pressure checked as a routine. Take more of fresh fruits and enough liquids.

I would like to have the reports of any other investigations if done for this issue.

Awaiting your reply. Good luck.
Follow-up: Suffer from body weakness and panic attacks. Diagnosed with viral infection. Suffer from nausea. Suggest? 3 hours later
Thank you Dr Shareef. No back pain after computer use. My own words 'coordination' is probably an oversight, its like when I walk I don't feel 100% grounded in my legs. On a scale, with 10 being well grounded I'd be around 6 in my legs. So very slight disassociation. Also I forgot to mentioned that my muscles are fatigued easy.

When symptoms first commenced, in addition to the weakness and sense of panic, I was very spaced out, and dissociated and felt unreal for at least a week or so. Nausea was severe too. Those symptoms have passed, although last week I felt very slightly spaced, but better today.

Other tests include a complete neck and back x-ray and all was fine. Today I've sought counselling to see if that will help too as around a year ago my father shut me out of his life and it left me shocked at the time. Many thanks for your time.

It is good to listen from you so soon.

It shows your concern towards your own health which is a positive point in managing your symptoms, in case it is due to anxiety neurosis which can also result in such panic attacks if severe enough.In that case you should take a counselling session with a psychiatrist for which possibly you have already got an appointment as mentioned by you.

At the same time, I would also say that life is full of mysteries, and all of us do face some kind of negativity which may lead to such anxiety neurosis and panic attacks. A psychiatrist can counsel you and give you medications which may assist you in your will power to get out of it, but you too have to put your full effort in it. I am sure you can get out of it with your positive will power, which is seen obviously as your concern about your own health. Also whenever you experience such symptoms, you can go for deep breathing exercises, and divert in some other activities like music or dance.

However if the problems increase in intensity, there is no harm in considering a CT/MRI scan and a thyroid function test under supervision and consultation of your treating doctor.

I hope again that you may not need it at all.

If you have any thing else to ask, you are welcomed, otherwise you can rate and close the discussion.Wishing you an early recovery.
Dr Shareef.