Suffer from basal joint osteoporosis. Takes tramadol and ambien. Is it safe to take both medicine together?

Greetings. My 53 year old wife suffers from basal joint osteoarthritis and when it flares up she takes 50 mg of Tramadol. However, for sleeping she also takes 12.5 mg of Ambien. She wants to know whether there are any problems in taking the Ambien at night and taking Tramadol at the same time or at other times of the same day. She thought of trying Melatonin to help for sleep but wondered whether it would be a problem in relation to the Tramadol. Your input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Posted Fri, 14 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 5 days later

Tramadol is an opioid pain killer. The sedative effect of Tramadol is not more so as to affect the actions of a sedative like Ambien.

Trying Melatonin with Tramadol would not show any unwanted side effects. She can go ahead and try the same.

Hope I answered your query.

Please let me know if there are any other concerns.