Suffer from acid reflux, after eating esophagus becomes irritated and hurts with fast heart beat. Suggest?

I suffer from acid reflux. I have noticed that it has gotten worse. I have noticed that when I eat a meal my esophagus becomes irritated and hearts alittle. Also my heart seems to beat faster. What should I do?
Posted Thu, 3 Oct 2013 in GERD
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Anti-reflux measures and medication

Detailed Answer:
Dear patient:

For acid reflux, a combination of behavioral-habit changes and effective medication is useful for most patients.

Anti-reflux rules:

-Elevate head of the bed 30 degrees
-Do not eat anything 2 hours before laying down
-Avoid alcohol, tobacco, mint, spices, chocolate in large amounts, all known to promote reflux

-The best medications are now over the counter, called proton pump inhibitors, like omeprazole or lansoprazole; to be taken once or twice daily on empty stomach, on a regular basis; should NOT discontinue even when feeling better because you get rebound acidity.

If you are diligent with those secommendations for 1 month and symptoms persist, should see a doctir for further testing (eg. EGD)

Yours truly,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN