Suffer from Joint Dysfunction, spinal stenosis and lumbar degenerative disc disease. Getting addicted to opiates. Side effects?

Question
Hi. I am XXXXX, 65 tomorrow, with SI Joint Dysfunction/Arthritis as primary pain and spinal stenosis and lumbar degenerative disc disease secondarily. After five years, I decided to go the opiate (hydrocodone-acetaminophen 10-325 every 8 hours) pain reliever course most likely for the rest of my life. It was no easy decision, but steroid injections in my SI Joint is even less desirable. I do aqua exercises twice a week which concentrate on lower back muscles. I get the meds every 30 days from a pain clinic and am not one to abuse drugs (I actually do not like the side effects of opiates as it is). I assume and accept that I will become addicted to opiates, but are there any other side effects I should be considering? Thank you, Doctor. P.S. I take four 81mg aspirin daily after an endarterectomy and would prefer hydrocodone + 81mg aspirin instead of 325 acetaminophen. What do you think?
Posted Thu, 8 Aug 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Jay Patel 2 hours later

I am dr XXXXXXX and I will try my level best to help you.

Based on the information I understand that you are suffering from SI Joint Dysfunction/Arthritis as primary pain and spinal stenosis and lumbar degenerative disc disease secondarily. and wanting to know if you can take hydrocodone instead of 325 acetaminophen along with 81 mg of aspirin.

Here are the other side effects of opiates other then a very very high risk of addiction.
1) Drowsiness
2) Dilated pupils
3) Shallow breathing
4) Raw nostrils or redness around nostrils
5) Constipation
6) Euphoria
7) Fatigue
8) Confusion
9) Muscle spasms.

I would advise you not to go on that track, if possible ask you physician to give you 600 mg of ibuprofen (which is prescription strength) and try it for a while most of the patient can get good result with this non opiate drug other advantage is it do not have any major issues for side effects.

Hope it helps, please feel free to contact me in case of further concern or query.

thanks
Dr XXXXXXX XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Suffer from Joint Dysfunction, spinal stenosis and lumbar degenerative disc disease. Getting addicted to opiates. Side effects? 4 days later
Thank you, Dr. XXXXXXX Why would the pain clinic I get my Rx from not mention ibuprofen instead of the hydrocodone-acetaminophen 10-325?

Answered by Dr. Jay Patel 23 minutes later

Welcome back, I dont know exact reason why your pain clinic would not have tried ibuprofen 600 mg first rather then starting hydrocodone. The probable reason is they might have thought ibuprofen may not cut deal with the pain you are suffering from.

If I be prescribing pain medication, I would start with ibuprofen and see if it works as needed before going to the codeine based medication.

Thanks again, please feel free to contact me in case of any concern.

Dr XXXXXXX XXXXXXX