Suffer from Gout in knee. Taking votaren and colchocine tablets. What can he drink or eat?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My husband is suffering from Gout in his knee.He is unable to go to work or walk around. Has been taking votaren and colchocine tablets that are having no affect. I read books in the weekend that said coffee was good for him but have now just read this column and it says coffee is not good. What can he drink and eat?????
He has had it previously in the toe and his foot but this has been more painful in his knee.
Posted Mon, 22 Jul 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Gout happens when there are increased uric acid levels in the blood and the uric acid crystals start depositing in the joint capsules causing the joint inflammation.
It can happen due to decreased excretion of urates by kidney, dietary changes or due to genetic predisposition.
It is associated with consumption of alcohol, seafood and meat.
Taking a diet XXXXXXX in vitamin C, dairy products and coffee is likely to help in improvement of symptoms. Coffee helps in excretion of urate from the body.
Drink plenty of water daily to help the kidneys clear the uric acid. Reducing meat intake will also help him.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.