Suffer from DISH disease and have spurs all over body including throat. Can it cause sleep apnea?

Suffer from DISH desease (difuse idiopathic skeletal hyperostosis. Have spurs throughout my body including one in my throat. Does the spur in my throat cause my sleep apnea? Should it be removed? Will it continue to grow if not removed? What if anything can be done about controlling DISH disease?
Posted Tue, 3 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 8 hours later
Brief Answer: Sleep apnea less likely due to DISH. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXX, 1. Dish is a disease of unknown cause. It progresses as the time proceeds. So only thing one can do is, to have symptomatic treatment. Fortunately few personal efforts can make the progress slow & detain the complications. I think sleep apnea can be a rare possibility in DISH, as mostly it’s due to air way obstruction in the throat (Pharynx) region. Still the possibility of spur causing apnea is rare and can be excluded by X ray/CT scan. You should try to manage Apnea by Medicines/ oral appliances, or positive air pressure devices. Surgery (tonsillectomy, Uvulopharengeal surgery is helpful. Please consult ENT specialist/ a physician for advice. 2. Spur in neck can cause difficulty in swallowing/ hoarseness of voice. It needs to be removed surgically when it causes difficulty in swallowing. 3. Yes the spur can grow due to progress of disease process, it can be delayed by few life style changes. - Exercise regularly. it makes your body nimble & helps to cope with DISH - Learn specific exercises for DISH from your doctor/physiotherapist. - Keep your weight at a desirable level. If you have diabetes, maintain blood sugar at desirable level. - Keeping the affected area warm (heating pad) helps. - Anti inflammatory drugs offer relief from pain/stiffness. Hope the answer helps you. Any other query is welcome. Regards