Suffer from CF with unilateral absence of the vas deferens and azoospermia. Had chlamydia. Any surgical treatment?

Infertility Specialist
I have CF with uni lateral absence of the vas deferens and azoospermia. An ultra sound scan has revealed a singular rudimentary seminal vesicle. My ejaculate volume is very low but was once normal. Is this reduction evidence of a previously functional sperm ejaculation? Also, I contracted chlamydia at age 26 which i believe may have compounded mucus tube blocking. I experienced intermittent pains in the scrotum in my late 20's (tube sealing?).

I am currently going through IVF and would like to know if there is an argument for exploratory surgery to determine the viability of unblocking or recontruction. Many thanks.
Posted Sun, 7 Apr 2013 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Biswajit Dash 5 hours later

Well as you have mentioned, you have CF and unilateral absence of vas deferens. But logically it should not result in azospermia if the other vas is well functioning. I think azospermia and low volume seminal fluid might have resulted from the chlamydial infection - the blocked passages through the vas and the ejaculatory duct.

It's great that you are going for IVF. I wish that you have favorable results.

I don't feel that exploratory surgery would be of much help because there may be various levels of block in chlamydial infection and not be a single one (as encountered in prior vasectomy). In the absence of multiple blocked areas, exploratory surgery is not useful.

I hope I have been able to answer your queries. Please let me know if you have any other query in future.