Suffer form hereditary hair loss. Taking medications. Suggest ways to stop and cure hereditary hair loss. Hair transplant?

Dec 2012

I am twenty five year old man suffering from hereditary hairloss ,i have been taking anti hair loss medications for last three months but they were of no effect(or little help)as i continue to experience hair thining especially in my crown ,i recently was told by a new dermatologist who i visited that baldness in hereditary hair loss is inevitable and medications are only as a means of slowing down the hair loss, having heard this i totally got disappointed because i know i gonna lose my remaining hair one day which is most unsatisfactory.
My question is ,is there a way to stop and cure hereditary hair loss for life other than hair transplant surgery ? Please also tell me your opinion about PRP and whether it is useful and worth trying? I appreciate your help.
Posted Mon, 15 Jul 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 2 hours later

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

There is currently no way to instigate permanent re-growth of hair that has been lost through genetic or hormonal causes. However, it is widely regarded that with early detection, professional consultation and specialist products, the effects of hair thinning can be reduced or delayed. If the cause is reversible, such as an underlying medical condition, it is possible to stop hair thinning by treating the deficiency but in your case, you are suffering from hereditary hairloss which will absolutely be difficult to treat completely as your dermatologist right said. variety of medications have been proven to slow hair thinning, help grow new hair or enlarge existing hairs to create better coverage. Most require long-term use as, if stopped, hair loss returns. ome treatments are topical, and activated by being sprayed or rubbed into the scalp, while others are taken in pill form. One of the most popular medications, corticosteroids, are either injected into the scalp, taken in pill form or applied in an ointment, and are used especially to treat patchy hair loss.
Treatment for the various forms of hairloss have limited success.
Well surgical transplant might be your only treatment choice to atleast improve the already loss hair in combination with hair loss reduction medications. I think it is best you consult again with your dermatologist for proper management.
I know you will not like to hear all of the above mentioned facts, but I do owe it to you to tell you nothing but the truth.
It is best at times to accept certain conditions and worry less about it. Because stress alone can accelerate hairloss.

Hope this helps and wish you the best.

Dr. Nsah