Suffer depression and sleep problems. No drugs or drinks. Feel having Adult ADD. What can be done?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
i think i have problems with Adult ADD. I have been several rounds with a psychiatrist addressing root causes like depression or sleep problems and this doesnt seem to be the problem. I dont drink, do drugs, nothing. My psychaitrist said because I had good grades as a child that ADD couldnt possibly be the problem, but I think this is sort of inaccurate because I had to transition schools as a child to smaller classes and one on one academic attention. I cant get projects done at work and i am easily put off track. It can be embarassing at times and affects my performance in, what is, a fairly successful career track.
Posted Mon, 1 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Adult ADD is always associated with childhood ADHD. The common symptoms include forgetfulness and excessive daydreaming, as well as an inability to sit still, or constant fidgeting with objects. It can be associated with frequent accidents, marital problems, etc.
The symptoms that you have described could be related to ADD but it needs a physical evaluation by a psychiatrist for proper diagnosis.
These symptoms could be related to anxiety too. You’ll need to work together with your doctor to design the best treatment plan.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.