Suffer depression. On Effexor and Lexapro. Can amino acids be taken along with anti depressant to increase its effectiveness?

Hi, I am currently on 75mg of Effexor, I came off it last august too quickly and got severe depression etc, I went onto Lexapro for 5 months but it did not help, I went back on Effexor 3 months ago but its not having the same effect it did have, I think because of the withdrawal I had back in August I am depleted in the main neurotransmitters, serotonin, dopamine etc and I was wondering if amino acids like tyrosine, 5htp etc can be taken along with the anti depressant to increase its effectiveness? Thanks XXXXX
Posted Wed, 24 Jul 2013 in Depression
Answered by Dr. Omer 44 minutes later

I am Dr.Omer and I am here to help you with your query.

As you have said that you are taking venlafaxine , then shifted to escitalopram , then back to venlafaxine , for low to high mood , wants to have an additive effect.

Tyrosine , serotinin supplements do help , but depends on the person using it.

The neurotransmiters in brain are made endogenously in the brain , as proteins cannot pass through the blood brain barrier due to big size.

Studies have should both increase in effect of SNRis like velafaxine , ectalopram and with no additive effect.

I would recommend that you should take it with your medicine , for 2-4 weeks if its helpful to you , continue it , as they do not do so much harm , as excessive is not absorbed.

Discuss with your psychiatrist to increase the dose of venlafaxine , and keep a check on blood pressure as SNRis do increase the blood pressure.

Hope this explains your query,

Feel free to ask any further questions.