Suffer constipation. Noticed dark, hard pebbles like stools. Have degenerative disc disease. What to do?

May 2014

I have been extremely constipated for about 3 weeks. Very little stool and it is small, dark, hard pebbles. My doctor does not know what is causing anterior/posterior pain when I sit down or lie down, I do have degenerative disc disesase (severe)
Posted Sat, 3 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.

From your history, I assume you have had normal stools till 3 weeks back from when you started having constipation with dark small stools (like pebbles); asociated pain on sitting and lying down is also present.
Severe degenerative disc disease is also present.

Sudden onset of constipation is an elderly lady as you must be investigated in detail by your physician. You may please consult a gastroenterologist and get a colonoscopy if necessary. A routine blood examination including hemoglobin would be of help. Stool examination for occult blood may also be done.

If any abdominal pathology is suspected as a cause of your pain, ultrasound/ CT scan imaging studies of your abdomen will have to be done.

Severe degenerative disc disease generally causes pain in back that is radiating to the legs.

Hope your query is answered.
Further questions welcome.

Dr Vivek