Suffer burning in throat and chest, shortness of breath and diarrhea. Prescribed acid reflex. Cause? Suggestions?

I am a 44 year old woman. I've been having symptoms of burning in throat and chest, burning sensation in my mouth, shortness of breath, feels like something stuck in my throat like backup mucus,and diarrhea as well. I have had problems with acid reflex for about 5 months now. I've been taking several over the counter medicine and my doctor prescribed something for acid reflex as well but none of it helped,, It just got worse, especially the burning throat and the feeling of something stuck in my throat.. I am so worried and stressed out about what it could be and I try not to think the worse.. Do you know what this could be ? I will be waiting for your response, thank you.
Posted Thu, 8 Aug 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 5 hours later
Hello! Thanks for putting your query in XXXXXXX I am a Gastroenterologist (DM).

All the symptoms like burning sensation in throat and chest, may be shortness of breathe, asthma may be all due to reflux disease only. Bronchial asthma is also associted with reflux disease.

I will like to advise you:
1.Avoid fatty meals
2. Don't lie down soon after meals for at least half hour
3.Take small and frequent meals, instead of full meals at a time
4. wear loose clothes
5. If you are overweight or obese do weight reduction with dieting and exercise
6. Keep your head end elevated to at least 30 degree to prevent reflux at the time of sleep. Reflux lead to nocturnal cough because of microaspiration of gastric content and may exacerbate asthmatic symptoms. And the head end elevation may prevent this.

Among the medications:
1 take a proton pump inhibitor like rabeprazole
2. Take a prokinetic agent like domperidone
3. Control asthma with medications like bronchodilators etc by discussing with your treating doctor

Feeling of something stuck in throat may be due to reflux only, however due to chronic reflux sometimes there is formation of stricture in food pipe (Oesophagus). If this symptom is not relieved after taking above medication then you may require endoscopic examination also

One more thing celebrex is used for arthralgia or arthritis that is joint pain which you haven't mentioned. Similarly Tylenol also. Please discuss regarding these medications with your treating doctor.

I hope I have answered your query and this will help you. Remain in touch and get-well soon.
Follow-up: Suffer burning in throat and chest, shortness of breath and diarrhea. Prescribed acid reflex. Cause? Suggestions? 10 hours later
About the burning sensation I feel in my mouth, and feeling nauseated, is the also from acid reflex ?

I forgot one thing, does the medicine has to be prescribed by my doctor or could I get it over the counter ?
Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 6 hours later
Hello! Burning sensation in mouth and feeling of nausea may also be a part pf reflux disease.

You may discuss with your doctor regarding the medication and its dose

Thanks and Get-well soon