Suffer broken rib. How long will the pain last?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
How long will the sever pain last with a broken rib?
Posted Fri, 11 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The severe pain may last for a week.

Detailed Answer:
If you keep the area properly immobilized with a chest belt then the pain may subside in next 2-3 days. Usually in case of broken rib, the pain is felt on movement, deep breathing or coughing.
The rib is likely to heal in 3 weeks time. By then the pain will subside considerably.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Suffer broken rib. How long will the pain last? 15 hours later
Thank you
I do have a chest belt I was just hoping it would be somewhat better by Wednesday I have a flight as it not being easy to drive hoping the flight would be easier I'm now having muscle spasms is that normal this is horrible
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
These spasms are normal.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing again.
The muscle spasms in the area of fracture are a normal finding. You can get a muscle relaxant prescribed from your physician ion addition to the pain killer that you are already taking.
Hope my answer is helpful.
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health.