Suffer anxiety and sleeplessness. Feel something stuck at the back of the throat. Took citalopram. Guide?

Hi..I have been suffering from anxiety for most of my life on and off..I find that certain things that happen in my life can make me quite anxious..for example I had some lipo done about three weeks ago I nearly canceled the op because off nerves I couldn't sleep and to be honest I was terrified not knowing what to except but went ahead and had it done..a few weeks after the lipo I started having anxiety problems no appetite wasn't sleeping felt like I had something stuck at the back off my throat..but I started getting a ringing in my ears which is a symptom I have never had before but I know you can get anxiety doctor has put me on citalopram 20 mg which I have been taking for five days..I guess what I want to know is the tinnitus came with the anxiety so when the anxiety goes will the tinnitus..I still feel anxious hope to feel better soon.
Posted Thu, 4 Jul 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Nehal Shah 32 minutes later
Thanks for using healthcare magic.

I have gone through your history.

Tinnitus is common symptom of anxiety.

Whenever you have improvement in other anxiety symptoms, yiu should also be free from tinnitus also.

Citalopram is very good drug for depression as well as anxiety. So you should continue to take as per your doctor's advise.

Simulteneous to citalopram, you may do stress management and self relaxation exercise like breathing exercise or yoga. You may also get benefit by counselling or psychotherapy.

I hope you will come out soon.

I hope I have addressed your concern.
Feel free to revert to me in case if you have further query.