Suffer abdominal pain and loose stools. Experiencing itchy anus. Prone to travel sickness. Colonoscopy normal. Remedy?

Gastroenterologist
Question
Hi - I have what my doctor thinks is IBS. My symptoms are abdominal pain early in the morning followed by loose stools, but I am not regular so sometimes I am constipated. I have also been experiencing an itchy anus, and sometimes irritation after a bowel movement. I am also prone to travel sickness but never used to be. A couple of years ago I did have a colonoscopy but it revealed nothing. Do you know what this could be?
Posted Mon, 18 Nov 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Definetely IBS,try to cope with stress...

Detailed Answer:

I have read your medical data carefully and can say that your symptoms go for IBS. Your body reacts with loose bowel movements to every stressful situation you are experiencing.

I am happy to hear that you do not have any organic problem.

If I were your caring doctor would advise to try to cope with stress, use chamomile tea or other relaxation herbal tea or supplements to relax. If no improvement, can consult physician for other drugs (anxiolytics).

At the same time, you can use chamomile tea for anal hygiene, and if the itching anus is persistent can apply local gels containing lidocaine and hydrocortisone.

I usually advise my patients a diet XXXXXXX in fiber and drink plenty of water during the day and to be physically active (sport, exercise, walking,etc).

Hope it answered to your question!

Dr.Klerida

p.s. if you have other concern, please write back to me!

Follow-up: Suffer abdominal pain and loose stools. Experiencing itchy anus. Prone to travel sickness. Colonoscopy normal. Remedy? 49 minutes later

Thanks for the information. So you don't think it could be parasitic or something like that? And how do I use chamomile tea for anal hygiene, do you mean to wash with it?

Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please follow the suggestions below...

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for writing back.

With regards to parasitic infections, if you have not done any test yet, I'd suggest to run the exam of feces for ova/parasites and possible culture to exclude candida infection or other bacterial concerns.

With regards to chamomile tea, I usually advise my patients to prepare the tea in large amounts (up to 1 liter), and each time you defecate, can wash with it.

Sometimes, when my patients have severe itching, I also recommend compresses (clothing) dipped in chamomile tea and put in the anal area.

Hope it answered to your question!

Dr.Klerida

Follow-up: Suffer abdominal pain and loose stools. Experiencing itchy anus. Prone to travel sickness. Colonoscopy normal. Remedy? 16 hours later
Hi again,

One thing I forgot to mention is that I was diagnosed with H-Pylory a few years ago. I went through several courses of antibiotics to get rid of it but it persisted. My doctor at the time wasn't able to advise of any other treatments so I can only assume I still have it. Do you think this could be responsible for my IBS issues? And if so, can you recommend any other course of action I could take.

thank you

Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes,H.pylori could be related to IBS; get checked

Detailed Answer:
Hi there,

Thank you for writing back.

With regards to H.pylori infection of the stomach, it is associated with IBS in some cases. In other words, patients with H.pylori, once diagnosed, were not considered IBS anymore.

So, if you had a previous history of H.pylori, I'd suggest to repeat the test again to find the right diagnose.

Once it is diagnosed and if you have any other problems as results of the previous tests, please get another treatment.

Hope this helps!

Wish you health!

Dr.Klerida