Suddenly started vomiting and noticed bruise around eye. Should I be concerned?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My wife had sudden onset of vommiting while we were shopping, no fever and no other signs of illness and she has bruising around the eyes after vomitting, is this a concern? My wife is a healthy 41 year old female
Posted Wed, 13 Mar 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 35 minutes later
The appearance of spontaneous bruise around the eyes after a vomiting is likely to be due to minor capillary hemorrhage due to raised pressure during the stress of vomiting.
Most of the times, it is self limiting and improves on its own in 7-10 days.
In case there is recurrent appearance of bruises, then it needs to be investigated for any bleeding disorders.
In case of recurrence, you need to consult the physician to get a complete blood coagulation profile checked with APTT and platelet count to rule out other possible causes like thrombocytopenia.
This can also happen due to a viral infection in the recent past- decreases the synthesis of platelets from the bone marrow.
Presence of any autoimmune disorders also needs to be ruled out.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Suddenly started vomiting and noticed bruise around eye. Should I be concerned? 10 minutes later
Thank you doctor. What is a possible cause of her vomiting? she felt fine..then all of a sudden, she had to throw up.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 31 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
Sudden vomiting can be due to a stomach infection, gastritis, motion sickness, GERD, etc. In case the vomiting is recurrent then direct examination will help in detecting the cause.
Hope my answer is helpful.