Suddenly leg collapsed while walking. Feeling numbness in hand and face. Is this a sign of TIA-mini stroke?

Jul 2012

Thank you for reading this .I would be most grateful for a reply as I have been extremely worried with my symptoms. I am 25 years old healthy weigh 55kg at 163cm have had no serious medical conditions. However last week i woke up to go to the bathroom and my leg just collapsed on me. I didnt get any pins and needles or numbness as a warning sign. I tried getting straight back onto my feet and it happened instantly again. after a few minutes i was able to get back up and hop back into bed. At this point i could not sleep as i was so anxcious i started experiencing numbness sensations on my right arm and right hand side of my face. I phoned my doctor and he called the ambulance as he thought it could be a TIA-mini stroke. The hospital did a CT scan and ECG which both came back clear. They sent me home after 8 hours . It has now been a week and I have been noticing cold sharp feelings in my neck right arm which occasionallly shoots to the left hand side they are similar to an electric shock. I have been so worried that ive been finding it hard to eat and sleep it is so awful. I just had a echocardiogram done today and am being referred to a neurologist to perform a MRI scan . are these symtoms common post a TIA attack or is this anxiety .I am constantly thinking about it and anticipating a confirmed diagnosis. If you can provide any feedback it would be most appreciated
Posted Thu, 11 Oct 2012 in Stroke
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 1 hour later
Let me cut to the chase & be upfront with you...You are suffering from an anxiety attack of sorts.
Having said this, relax, do the MRI..if the CT was normal, not envisaging any problems. Once the MRI is normal (i envsiage it to be), please take a chill pill & XXXXXXX up with a good counsellor or psychologist of your choice in your area.
Post TIA, is not something you should consider as you did not seem to have one in the first instance. PLease revert to your doctor who suspected that in the first instance & am sure he will tell you he 'erred' on the side of caution & i dont blame him. He had your best interests am sure. For the very same reason, he will now reassure you all is well..stop thinking of a confirmed diagnosis when even the provisional one is uncertain :)
Cheers & sure some day you wil look back & have a good laugh at it. For the moment, get the MRI & Neurological assessment done & am sure it will all come out fine & do hope i am holler & tell us all is well. Cheers & Godspeed!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD