Suddenly got pain and swelling on foot. No relief from volini ointment. Any effective cure?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
My sister is 36 yrs old. Married. Yesterday, around 8 PM, she was doing her dish washing & suddenly she got a spasm kind of feeling on her right foot (where we tie our shoe lace). As the pain was unbearable, she abondoned her task & sat for long time. The pain didn't subside. She applied VOLINI ointment, no relief. She couldn't sleep properly due to the agony. Today morning when we woke up, her foot was swollen. She has severe pain. Kindly help ASAP.
Posted Mon, 18 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 49 minutes later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

According to your description , pain and swelling over her right foot seems to be inflammatory in nature. It can be due to an acute attack of gout.

I advice her to give rest to the foot. Cut back on activities that make her foot hurt. Try not to walk or run on hard surfaces.
To reduce pain and swelling, try putting ice on her foot and take an over-the-counter pain reliever like ibuprofen (such as Advil or Motrin) 1 tablet with food as and when required (upto 4 tablets daily) , and consult your doctor for thorough examination of foot and rule out any infective cause.

Hope this will help you. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.

Wishing her speedy recovery...

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.
Follow-up: Suddenly got pain and swelling on foot. No relief from volini ointment. Any effective cure? 35 minutes later
Thank you for your instant help. Kindly let me know the diet which can help in treating this "gout attack".
Any precautions, which can take, to avoid any further attack of gout?
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query again.

There's nothing you can do to stop a gout attack once it's started, but there are things you can do to care for a gout flare at home.

To follow the diet:
* Limit meat, poultry and fish. Animal proteins are high in purine. Avoid or severely limit high-purine foods.Red meat, fatty fish and seafood are associated with increased risk of gout.
* Choose complex carbohydrates. Eat more whole grains and fruits and vegetables and fewer refined carbohydrates, such as white bread, cakes and candy.
* Cut back on fat. Saturated fat lowers the body's ability to eliminate uric acid. Choosing plant-based protein, such as beans and legumes, and low-fat or fat-free dairy products will help you cut down the amount of saturated fat in her diet. High-fat meals also contribute to obesity, which is linked to gout.
* If she drink a lot of sugar-sweetened soft drinks, especially those containing fructose, it may help to reduce the number or cut them out all together.
* Drink plenty of fluids, particularly water. Fluids can help remove uric acid from her body. Aim for 8 to 16 glasses a day.
* If she is overweight, try to lose some weight. This can help to lower the uric acid level. However, do not use diets that increase urate levels, such as high-protein diets or starvation diets.

Hope this discussion was useful. Please close this discussion, if you do not have any other queries. I would appreciate your reviews about this service.

Good luck -- I hope things go well.

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.