Suddenly getting panic attacks and feeling difficulty in breathing. Could I ask a doctor?

Some times I suddenly gets panic attacks, it can be at any time any where. Suppose I am in enjoying or happily doing some work or well focused on some work and in a normal way than suddenly my mind start getting a feeling after that. I feel terrified. I feel like my mind is not centered. I feel like my mind, body, breathing is not normal now onwards for next few hours. I start trying to keep myself telling that its normal but I feel like everything is out of control. I start getting short breathing, also face difficulty in breathing. I feel my breathing is not normal & also feel that like I am bad breathing. I feel muscles of my whole body is not working fine i.e Brain. Heart, respiratory. On my forehead I feel heaviness, tiredness & little pain on muscles near eye brose. My ability of thinking, concentration goes down. Muscles of stomach gets tight. I feel little heaviness on the Upper part of stomach. Pain stats on my back, shoulders & legs, I feel very low. My energy level goes down. Dark circles starts on my eyes, face become dull. I never want such feeling or panic attacks & I want to remain happy, focused, concentrated on my work, Pl. help me out of this. I am facing such panic attacks for last 10 years, First time I felt this when I was in tenth class, took heavy pressure ,serious tension of studies of board exam. I want to avoid such attacks but I am unable to do that and because of that I feel like I am not leading a normal life.
Posted Mon, 2 Dec 2013 in Anxiety and Stress
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 18 hours later
Brief Answer: Panic disorder is a treatable condition. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress. Panic disorder occurs due to neurotransmitters imbalance in brain most commonly involving serotonin neurotransmitter. You may need treatment with psychiatrist to treat your problem. It is not clear if you received any treatment in past, but believe me people life changes after treatment. Other symptoms of Panic attack which may or may not be present in your case: severe attack of anxiety, choking sensation in throat, nervousness, restlessness, mild irritability, excessive worry regarding own health, tremor, muscle spasm, heaviness in body, easy fatigability, headache, sleep disturbance, palpitation, dry mouth (lead to excessive drinking of water) and fear of dying during attack. Each episode develops in few minutes and last for 30-120 minutes. Each episode followed by the fear of developing another attack in future. Panic attacks can also be caused by medical conditions and other physical causes. As you’re suffering from symptoms of panic, it’s important to rule out the following possibilities: -Hyperthyroidism -Hypoglycemia -Stimulant use (amphetamines, cocaine, caffeine), so stop use if present. -Medication withdrawal -Vitamin deficiency: Get serum B12 level. Start multi vitamins as they are easily available. -Side effect of substance use: Stop smoking and alcohol use (if present). Reduce coffee use. -Thyroid related problem: get thyroid hormonal assay done In treatment both drug and non drug treatment like cognitive behavior therapy (form of psychotherapy) are used. Choice of treatment depends on severity of symptoms, personal preference and availability of treatment. In drug treatment of panic disorder two types of medicine used. For immediate relief of anxiety benzodiazepines group of medicines (like clonazepam) are used for short duration (due to risk of dependence). For long term relief most commonly SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) are used. SSRI takes around 3-4 weeks to show its effect, till that time benzodiazepines control the anxiety symptoms. This process is complex. I have just simplified it to make you understand it. All these medicines are prescription medicine and given after in person examination by physician. I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups. Wish you good health. Regards,