Suddenly getting on and off pain in armpit. What is causing this?

What is this with my left armpit, all of the sudden I have pain there on and off for acouple of months ?
Posted Sat, 1 Sep 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 28 minutes later

The most common cause for pain in the armpit area is a swollen lymph gland in the region due to a superficial bacterial infection.

Do you also have a swelling or pus like discharge in the left armpit area? Or is it just the sudden pain?

If it is only pain, then it could be because of a muscle spasm that can be safely neglected.

Please examine your left armpit yourself and let me know if there is a knot or swelling in the area or if there is a discharge too.

Awaiting your response.

Follow-up: Suddenly getting on and off pain in armpit. What is causing this? 10 hours later
There is no lump or swelling in the armpit and the pain just comes and goes. Should I consult my doctor about this or is there any home treatments I can do to help relieve the pain?
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 12 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

I am glad that there is no lump or swelling in the armpit. It seems like a muscle spasm to me. You may consider taking Tablet Tylenol when the pain is severe. It is available over the counter in the US. You can also give hot compresses locally for relief of pain.

If the pain worsens or if you develop a visible swelling in the area, then you may consult your Take care.