Suddenly felt loss of muscle control in arm. What could be causing this?

Feb 2013

I had a sudden feeling in my left arm that I had no control over it. It felt drained of blood and as though I had littel or no muscular control. To stop it waving around I had to put it in my pocket. A few minutes later I was fine. A similar less severe and noticable event occurred yesterday, and some 6 month s back. Any hints?
Posted Tue, 5 Mar 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 2 hours later
Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic,
This episodes of loss of control of your left arm associated with loss of muscle control for a few minutes are due to transient paralysis episodes of that limb.
This is suggestive of transient ischemic attacks (TIA), means temporary loss of blood supply to a part of brain which controls your left arm.
As you are having atrial fibrillations(risk is due to clot and emboli formation), this may be a risk factor for getting transient ishemic attacks.
So I advise you to consult emergency department for further evaluation and management.
Hope I have answered your query and wish you good health.