Suddenly experienced sharp, stabbing, burning pain in breast area. Should I go for medical check up?

About 20 minutes ago, I suddenly experienced sharp, stabbing, burning pain in my right breast area. The pain radiates up to right side of my throat and lower part of right ear. I have had this before--infrequently though. It usually lasts about 1 hour then disappears as quickly as it came. My husband just gave me 1 baby aspirin, but I am frightened but do not believe it to be a heart attack because my heart is on left side. Am I OK not going to the ER?
Posted Sat, 20 Oct 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sumitra Kumar Mukherjee 28 minutes later
Dear Madam,
I am sorry to hear about that. You are right our heart is in the left side. But heart pain may present in many different ways. Usually the heart pain presents in the middle of the chest crushing in character and radiates to the left arm and hand but It may go to right shoulder, right arm, right hand and may go to neck, jaw and even present with abdominal pain.
Your husband has done right thing giving you baby aspirin.
I think it would be best if you go the ER and get an EKG and cardiac enzymes done. We would rather be safe than sorry.
Kindest regards