Ask a Dentist   »  

Suddenly developed a sharp pain under the jaw. Hurts to touch. What could be this?

Question
Hi. I was driving and suddenly developed a sharp pain under the left side of my jaw (in the lymph node area). It developed suddenly and hurts to touch. The pain is getting more severe since then. What could this be?
Posted Sat, 1 Sep 2012 in Dental Health

Answered by Dr. Mihail Iepure 4 hours later

Thank you for posting your query,

If this appeared suddenly, probably can be submandibular muscle spasm.

But did you note any swelling, high local temperature or generalized fever? - Because in some cases, inflammation of submandibular glands, lymphatic nodes or incipient abscess can generate symptoms as described by you.

I would advice to monitor your symptoms one more day. You may try over the counter anti-inflammatory drugs (like Ibuprofen); but if there will be no improvements in your condition and you will note swelling, high local temperature then you need definitely clinical evaluation, laboratory testing to clarify your condition.

Hope this helps and if you have additional queries, don’t hesitate to ask.

Best Regards,
Dr. Mihail

Follow-up: Suddenly developed a sharp pain under the jaw. Hurts to touch. What could be this? 1 hour later
This was a sudden onset of severe pain under my left side of my jaw. it is very tender to touch. When I look up your possible "diagnosis XXXXXXX I can't find anything that directly addresses my problem. The pain is getting more severe and it now hurts to swallow. I'm in too much pain to sleep and I already took two hydrocodones so I cannot take an Ibuprofen. Do I need to go to an emergency room?

Answered by Dr. Mihail Iepure 3 hours later

Thank you for writing back,

Yes, definitely you need medical consultation physical exam to clarify as the pain has increased and didn’t respond to Hydrocodone which is narcotic analgesic.

Few hours ago there was no pain while swallowing, but now I can see a new symptom has appeared. Probably there is something happening in your throat - may be an infection. That is a sign to seek medical consult.

I wish you speedy recovery and if you have additional queries, don’t hesitate to ask,

Wish you a speedy recovery

Best Regards,
Dr.Mihail