Suddenly I started feeling dizzy and nauseous. Chances of labyrinthitis? What can this possibly be?

Yesterday I was having a perfectly normal day, only feeling a bit tired. Then I was training martial arts, doing the warm ups then all of a sudden I felt very dizzy - the world around me was shaking very violently for a few seconds that i couldn't even stand up. After this, I started feeling a bit dizzy and vomited as well.

It's been almost 30 hours now, and through all this time, every time I lay down on my side or turned my head, I would start feeling dizzy for about 5-10 seconds. I have nauseous feelings a few times but not that much. Whenever I keep my head still, I feel fine though and not dizzy.

I haven't had diarrhea at all, my stomach feels only a very SLIGHT bit more upset than usual.

What can this possibly be? I Don't think its a stomach bug although its a possibility. Could it be something to do with my blood pressure (I'm 19 years old)? Or possibly labyrinthitis? Is there anything I can do to make it easier for diagnosis?
Posted Sun, 14 Oct 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sumitra Kumar Mukherjee 2 hours later
I think most likely you got labyrinthitis. It is caused due to disturbances of fluid in XXXXXXX ear possbly by virus some times due to enviromental conditions like sea sickness, motion sicknesss and airsickness. I think you should see your doctor to check your ears and give you appropriate treatment with anti emetic medication. Antibiotic probably not necessary. For now avoid sudden turning of head and the avoid turning the head to the side if it is dizzy.
I would not dream of high blood pressure for such young person who practices marshal art.
Kindest regards
Dr S.K. Mukherjee
Follow-up: Suddenly I started feeling dizzy and nauseous. Chances of labyrinthitis? What can this possibly be? 9 hours later
Labyrinthitis will go away on its own right? I'm feeling better today now, only a very very slight bit dizzy when I turn my head alot.
Answered by Dr. Sumitra Kumar Mukherjee 6 hours later
Hello and thanks again,

You are absolutely right. I think you most likely had viral infection where symptoms resolve spontaneously.

I am pleased to know you are better. Let me know if you have any other concerns.
If all your queries are answered, please close this discussion.

Kindest regards
Dr. S.K.Mukherjee
Follow-up: Suddenly I started feeling dizzy and nauseous. Chances of labyrinthitis? What can this possibly be? 30 hours later
I went to my doctor today and told her about my condition. She checked my blood pressure and everything was fine. I also told her I had a ringing noise in my ears and that I'd like her to check out my ears. She looked inside my ears with one of the doctor's instruments (not sure what it's called) and said that they were fine. She also prescribed me with stemzine tablets, but I still feel like my ear is a problem because when I move my head around I kinda lose my balance.

What do you think on this situation? How much of an ear inspection is needed to diagnose labyrinthitis?
Answered by Dr. Sumitra Kumar Mukherjee 46 minutes later
Hallo XXXXXX, I am sorry to hear it is still bothering you.

I can assure you it will settle down shortly. You have to take precaution for few things:
(1) Don't move your head suddenly; that will disturb the fluid in your XXXXXXX ear you feel Dizzy
(2)Don't change your position too quickly - like quick standing from lying just take your time
(3) And carry on with the medications.

The instrument which the doctor used to check your ears is called Otoscope. Normal findings suggest no infection. So don't be bothered.

I hope your speedy recovery.

Kindest regards
Dr. S.K.Mukherjee