Sudden weight gain without change in diet. Could it be due to hormonal changes?

I have been putting on a lot of weight recently. I do not work out regularly but I do some exercises twice or thrice a week. My height is 5'5 and until a year back my weight used to vary between 52 to 54 Kgs. I have gained about 8 to 10 Kgs in the last one year and looks like it's increasing every month.I weigh 64 Kgs now. My eating habits haven't changed much. I have been married for 2 and half yrs now. I do not have any kids.

Could this be a deficiency or hormone related? What best do you suggest so I can reduce or maintain my weight. Also could my Thyroid levels gone up which could be adding up? Please help.
Posted Fri, 13 Jul 2012 in Weight & Lifestyle
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 15 minutes later

Sudden increase in weight to this extent definitely raises suspicion about hormone abnormality. Thyroid is one of them.

Please visit a physician and get your self properly examined and get your thyroid levels checked for sure. Hypothyroidism can surely add to increasing weight, though it may not be the sole reason.

In general please do following which will help you to reduce your weight.

1. Plan your diet well. Eat 3-4 small portions every day, instead of 2 traditional major meals.
2. Avoid junk foods, fried foods, soft drinks, sweets, deserts etc.
3. Take more of fruits and vegetables in your diet.
4. Avoid too much of tea/coffee.
5. Do regular exercise. This is must. You need to daily exercise at least for 30-40 minutes in a day. Brisk walking etc is good.

Please understand that by doing everything you will be able to lost up to 10% of your total weight in about 1 years,means 6kg in your case.Be patient and do not expect anything dramatic in short time.Weight loss is a mission and long road to go.

I hope this helps.

Please feel free to write again if you have some more queries, in case you do not have more queries please accept the answer.

Wishing you good health and all the best for mission to reduce weight.