Sudden weight gain, bloating, taken water pills, not constipated or gassy, irregular periods, extended belly

I am a 36 year old 5'3 female, who normally weighs between 106-112. In the past 4 days, I have suddenly gained 8 pounds (now weighing 120), even with me running more and eating less. I feel incredibly bloated and have taken water pills for the last two days, but to no avail. I am not constipated or gassy. It also to be noted, that I go many months without a menstrual cycle. I can fluctuate in weight, however, normally can lose it very quickly. I feel uncomfortable, lethargic, and "fat". My belly looks extended, too.
Posted Tue, 10 Jul 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Anantharaman 9 hours later

Thank you for posting the query.

I can note from your question that you are physically active and are conscious about your weight. Moreover, you are in the ideal body weight range.

Your weight gain and symptoms may be due to hypothyroidism. Please get a thyroid function test done- T3, T4 and TSH. If these are normal then the next most likely cause would be a change in your eating and activity pattern-from what you say it seems less likely.

I also suggest you to get an ultrasound of the uterus and ovaries and look for any cysts in the ovaries. They can also be a cause for your symptoms, more so because of family history of ovarian cysts.

Please get these tests done and revert to me.

I wish you good health. Please do write back in case you have follow up queries to ask.

Follow-up: Sudden weight gain, bloating, taken water pills, not constipated or gassy, irregular periods, extended belly 8 hours later
I have scheduled a doctor appointment for Monday and will let you know. I've noticed that I'm very tired and now waking up with headaches. I'm also going to take a pregnancy test, too, just to rule that out.
Answered by Dr. Anantharaman 6 minutes later
Sure. Please do let me know the results of your tests .
Dr. Anantharaman