Sudden walnut-sized, hard, painful lump on outer thigh. No redness. What could this be?

Hi. My father is 68 and has a sudden walnut sized hard painful lump on his outer thigh. No redness. What could this be? Thank you. XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 13 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query. From the symptoms that you have mentioned three important possibilities are coming to my mind which need to be evaluated:

1)     Firstly this swollen lump which is causing radiating pain can be a swollen lymph node in relation to any recent infection. Lymphadenopathy (swollen lymph nodes) is usually caused by a viral or bacterial infection. Other causes include allergic reactions or some malignancy.

2)     Second possibility is of any cyst which is a small cystic swelling. It can get painful when infected.

3)     Third possibility is of a benign skin growth or a boil/ abscess which is causing localized pain.

Your father may need to get a MRI scan and a FNAB (fine needle aspiration biopsy) of the lump. FNAB is aspiration of the material of the glands which is done by a fine gauge needle (22 or 25 gauge) and a syringe.

MRI scan is the best test for detecting the cause of any both these tests need to be done soon. Hence please get this lump evaluated from a surgeon.

Till then, apply warm compresses on the area and give him some over the counter anti-inflammatory pain killer after consulting your doctor. He may need oral antibiotics if there is any underlying infection of the lump.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.