Sudden vision change, feeling better during 72 hour fast. Glucose level related?

I have had some sudden changes in my vision and my Optometrist said that these changes could be glucose related and that I should monitor my glucose level.

Can you please interpret the glucose measurements I have taken. (These measurements are sent in a separate attached report.)

I have not been feeling well lately and I noticed that I felt a lot better while on the 72 hour fast.
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. L K Shankdhar 22 hours later

My comments on the data provided by you are following:-
1. I do not feel that sudden change in your vision has anything to do with your glycemic status since such a change is seen with quite high values.
2. Your glucose values on 27th August reveal diabetic status since 2 values at 9 AM and 9.30 AM are above 200 mg%
3. One value at 11.30 AM is even in the range of hypoglycemia but this is understandable due to delayed Insulin release in response to glucose load.
4. Appearance of glucose in urine, although having no diagnostic importance, still is in consonance with blood glucose rise
5. Result of A1c is normal and does not confirm the diagnosis of Diabetes. A1c is valued more since it rules out temporay rise in glucose often called "Reactive Hyperglycemia."
6. Fasting glucose on 13th May and 31st August reveal Impaired Fasting status (IFG)
7. Post meal values on 28th August are well within normal range which are not after glucose drink.
8. So diagnosis of Diabetes is denied.
9. For diagnosis of diabetes with Post glucose values, it is always recommended to get 2 testings on 2 separate days.
10. All your Random testings are normal except on 19th Aug which is quite low and you have already indicated that it might be due to expired strips.
11. Resorting to Fasting on 6th September reveals all values within normal range except one at 7 PM on 9th Sept showing hypo which might be due to 3 day’s fast
Your data reaffirms the recent recommendation to use A1c for diagnosis of Diabetes which should be 6.5 or more.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them

With best wishes
Dr. LK Shankhdhar
Follow-up: Sudden vision change, feeling better during 72 hour fast. Glucose level related? 25 hours later
Thank you for your interpretation. I am happy that I do not diabetes.

Are these glucose results any cause for concern and should any action be taken as a result of these tests? Are there possible negative health effects associated with these test results?

Could I have a lesser disorder such as hypoglycemia or impaired glucose tolerance which should be investigated or addressed?

Answered by Dr. L K Shankdhar 12 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

As per international guidelines for western nations, Glycemic status should be checked every 3 years. so, do not worry and repeat the tests after 3 years.

I don't foresee any extra risk for you with the available data.

I hope this answers your query.

Wish you good health.

Dr. L.K. Shankhdhar.
Follow-up: Sudden vision change, feeling better during 72 hour fast. Glucose level related? 15 hours later
* I will soon start taking Synthroid for my newly diagnosed Hypothyroidism and I know that Synthroid can affect glucose levels. Is there still no cause for concern when I start taken Synthroid?

* Can you please explain what happened in the body so that I had a "not normal" glucose tolerance test response?
Answered by Dr. L K Shankdhar 9 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

1. I would suggest you to monitor the blood sugar levels regularly, if you are starting Synthyroid. Discuss this issue with your doctor, as he will be moderating your Synthyroid doses asper your need. He would be the best person to tell you how frequently you need to check your blood sugar levels.

2. One of your sugar values was in the range of Impaired Fasting Glucose IFG) which has lesser potential to proceed to XXXXXXX diabetes compared to Impaired Glucose tolerance (IGT).

Best way to prevent diabetes is to undetrake moderate intensity exercise such as brisk walking and cylcing for 150 minutes per week. As per literature, risk reduction with mere exercise is 58%.

I hope this answers your query.

Wish you good health.