Ask a Urologist   »  

Sudden urge for urination. Normal urine color. Need attention?

I've noticed over the past couple of weeks a very slight pink color on the porcelin of the of the toilet that is probably a build up over a week or so of splash. Urine color is normal yellow to clear. I am a male age 63 in good health, bp 135/85, no restriction to flow during urination however, sometimes the urge to urinate gets suddenly very strong upon standing and requires immediate action. Thanks DLO.
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 2 hours later

There is no substance excreted in health or ill health which leaves pink staining. If that pink color turns to brown over time I would suspect it to be blood but cannot be certain of it. Only way to find it out is by a Urine microscopy test which searches for any type of salt crystals which can give a clue into the problem.If the urine test is normal then I see no reason to worry.

If you are on any drugs please share the information with me as some drugs do give color to the urine.

The sudden urgency for urination can be attributed to age related prostate changes but not serious and not related to the pink color staining of the porcelin.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.