Sudden terrible hot flushes. What is it about?

I am having terrible hot flashes all of a sudden at 69 yrs old. what is that about?
Posted Mon, 18 Jun 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 4 hours later

Hello and welcome to HealthCare Magic,

Assuming that you went through menopause at the normal age (51-52), with menopause being defined as no period for 12 months, then the onset of hot flashes related to menopause would be unusual. It would make sense if you had been on heart disease with symptoms that are often different than men. Sweating or "diaphoresis" might be a sign of heart disease. Also, endocrine causes of such symptoms should also be pursued: diabetes and thyroid disease.

This gives you something to think about, and this obviously should be addressed with your doctor. If this is a satisfactory answer, please accept it as such. I wish you the best of luck. Please ask if you have more questions.

Dr. Tim