Sudden symptoms of shaking, muscle and joint pain, severe, and

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
Sudden symptoms of shaking, muscle and joint pain, severe, and nausea. Feels like flu like symptoms, I had a flu shot one month ago. Unable to get out of bed until just now. Pain had been intense now a On a scale from 1 to 10 it's a 6 to 7.
One week ago had a branch of a tree fall on me (lower right side. Large bruise, painful but getting better now that it been a week. Gone swimming an indoor pool three times a week to do exercises has helped. Also history of chronic back pain. )
My husband has the exact same symptoms as me except he had diarrhea but I did not.
Posted Thu, 30 Nov 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Avoid Advil and Meloxicam.

Detailed Answer:
Hi there

Thanks for the query

It is possible that you may be suffering from Dengue or Chikungunya infection.

The symptoms are very similar to those that you have described.

Avoid taking NSAIDs like Meloxicam, Advil, Ibuprofen, Aceclofenac, Etoricoxib etc. You can take Acetaminophen for the fever and chills. Keep well hydrated. Eat soft non-spicy nutritious duet.

Do get tested for Dengue and Chikungunya. Get your complete blood cell count including Platelet count at a laboratory.

I hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Dr.Aashish Raghu

Follow-up: Sudden symptoms of shaking, muscle and joint pain, severe, and 30 hours later
Hello Dr. XXXXXXX
My symptoms have improved but still fatigued, some bone and muscle pain but not debilitating now. My question is this, I spend the winters in Sarasota, Florida. ( from XXXXXXX 1st thru May 1st. ) Can I ( and husband Who experienced symptoms at the same time) get a mosquito borne virus so many months after visiting Florida?
The symptoms began on the same day 3 days ago the second time we hav experience d these symptoms.
The same symptoms occurred last XXXXXXX ( about a month after leaving Florida)lasted several days. This second bout was much more severe. That is one of the reasons why I had my MD at Dartmouth Refer me to a rheumatologist several months ago who diagnosed osteoarthritis My MD also tested me for tick borne diseases which were negative. I hope that you can help me make sense of this. Thank you, XXXXXXX

Brief Answer:
Could be influenza infection from the flu shot due to low immunity

Detailed Answer:
It may be unlikely given the history you have provided.

It is possible you are having an adverse reaction to the flu shot as you can also contract a viral flu from the shot if your immunity is low.

Do get tested for Influenza virus infection. That will be the next helpful step.