Sudden, strong headache on top of head, down the back of neck and to the right side

I have a sudden headache that come on strong and out of no where. It will go away for a few seconds, then get suddenly intense again. It is mostly located at the top of my head, but also goes to the right side, and down the back of my neck.
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 48 minutes later

The description of the headache you give makes me suspicious of vascular headache (defect in the blood vessels) which could be a minor temporary dilatation due to stress, medications, etc or it could be due blood vessel malformation.

I would suggest you , if the pain is more to get a CT Scan of the brain with contrast which can rule out any space occupying lesions (growths) and also can give clue into any vascular malformations .The scan helps in planning the management.

Migraine could also present in the way you have it now but the variation in the intensity of the pain is not typical , hence do get examined for same .Once the scan is done the possibilities can be narrowed and exact cause can be made out.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.