Sudden spells of shakiness in upper lips. Reason?

my upper lips start shake
Posted Sun, 2 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Nirmala P 2 hours later
Thanks for asking in Healthcare Magic.

Trembling or twitching of lips is due to sudden involuntary muscle contractions in or around lips. It commonly occurs in conditions of stress, general anxiety, worry and in emotions like fear. Both muscle or nerve can be involved. It can either be due to overuse of muscles resulting in spasms (weakness) or due to injury to nerves. It can also occur due to lack or depletion of potassium.

Twitching ca also be a result of some severe conditions like epilepsy, parkinsonism, deficiency of parathyroid hormone, hypoglycemia or some syndromes like Tourette's syndrome but in all these conditions, other associated symptoms will be present.
Excess intake of coffee, chocolate sodas or withdrawal from alcohol and ciggarret are also found to result in twitching. It can occur suddenly at rest or due to some stimulation like heat.

Usually mild twitching settles down on its own and so you need not worry. But if it is persistent (more than 48 hours) or if accompanied by other symptoms like twitching of entire face, loss of sensation, then you should consult a neurologist to investigate the underlying causes.

Breathing exercises and yoga will control this. Banana contains potassium and may be helpful. Calcium and Methyl cobalamin will strengthen the muscles and nerves and will prevent twitching. Avoid stress and coffee. Green tea is useful.

I hope this helps. Please address to me if you have any other concerns.
Follow-up: Sudden spells of shakiness in upper lips. Reason? 26 hours later
i smoke
now i have too much flame
what to do ?
Answered by Dr. Nirmala P 26 minutes later
Welcome back to Healthcare Magic.

Smoking triggers twitching . As I mentioned earlier you should consult a neurologist if your twitching/ trembling of lips is non stop or increased or too troublesome as they may indicate some underlying problems which need physical examination and investigations.

If the triggering cause is smoking, then you should stop it. But this depends on how much you are physically and psychologically dependent on it. Sometimes putting a warm compress on the twitching muscle relaxes the muscle and improves twitching. But if it does not help, then you should seek Dr's help.

I hope I have answered your query.
Warm regards.