Sudden sharp pain on the side of rib after drinking wine. Are they related?

Neurologist, Surgical
Hello, Hope you are having a good night. Hopefully I will to once I get some advice from you. Anyway I woke up in bed thursday morning with a little sharp pain on my right side rib. It just came unexpected with nothing I had done special. Not sure if you sleep on the wrong side or out of position that will cause something like this but it has been bothersome and quite annoying. I am a custodian and lift heavy eight ft tables and hall out heavy bags of garbage etc. Wednesday I did have a couple glasses of wine but not sure if that would have anything to do with it. I experience the pain when I yawn, wet mop, burp, fart (just a little but not as much as the others), and if I lay on my left side and and stretch to reach my foot just as a exercise I can really feel the pain. I have tried the rice strategy and over the counter tylenal and a few exercises. I would grade this a 4.5-5. I can still bend over to empty garbage, bend over to pick a item up, tie my shoes, etc.
Posted Mon, 4 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Vineet Saggar 1 hour later

I went through the details with diligence. I thank you for providing me a detailed account of your problem.

First thing you need to do is relax. This doesn't seem to be a serious pathology and you are likely to be fine in a few days.

Based on the described symptoms, I feel that all you have is muscular sprain because you seem to be able to do most of your routine activities. Pain following drinking wine is probably incidental and I do not seems to be related.

Please continue 'rice' protocol and rest well. Better analgesics such as over the counter available Ibuprofen or prescription medication (non steroid antiinflammatory drug) can be better than tylenol. If symptoms do not resolve even after that then you will require x XXXXXXX and other investigations.

Let me know if you need further assistance.

Follow-up: Sudden sharp pain on the side of rib after drinking wine. Are they related? 1 hour later
Thanks. That is very reassuring to me. So basically try ibprofin and continue the rice thing. I don't know how I could get a prescribed non-steroid medication unless you are able to do that if I find I really need it. I am just curious are you actually able to write prescriptions? So what is the definition of muscular sprain out of curiosity?
Answered by Dr. Vineet Saggar 15 hours later
Dear friend,

We don't write prescriptions here. Muscular sprain is overstretching of muscles without actually tearing the fibers.