Sudden sharp pain in the hip joint associated with coughing. Concerned

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My right hip hurts when I cough. It almost feels like a ripping pain, like something is gonna split open.. It's starting to concern me
Posted Sun, 28 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 48 minutes later
The sudden sharp pain in the hip joint associated with coughing is likely to be due to a ligament injury in the hip joint area. A muscle sprain in the area can also cause such symptoms. You need to go for a physical examination and MRI scan of the hip for proper diagnosis.
Till then avoid weight bearing on the affected leg and take some mild pain killers for relief.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.