Sudden sharp knee pain, felt swollen lump. Took benadryl and ibuprofen. How to cure this?

General Surgeon
Last night while washing dishes, I had a sharp pain on the inside of my right knee where the crease is. Kind of like a bite. No itching. & I didn't see anything that could have bitten me...However there was a hard swollen bump felt like a very sensitive bruise. I took some benedryl and ibuprofen for the pain and went to bed. The Bruise is worse more defined red, blues and purples the hard bump is gone but bruise pain is still there... I don't think it was a bite
Posted Sun, 12 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later

Thank you for the query.

According to provided photo you have a blood collection in the bruise area. Most likely it has appeared due to vein rupture. It is more possible if you have varices in this area, do smoke, your legs get heavy and swollen while standing for a long time.
It does not look bad and seems to not need any medical attention. It takes up to 3 weeks for such bruise to go away. Just keep you leg little bit higher while lying down.
You should be aware of veins thrombosis. And if your calf has gotten hard and painful, leg aches while walking, the pain radiates from the foot to the knee, vein thrombosis should be ruled out. In such case blood work, D-dimers should be done and if elevated Dopplers ultrasound of the veins should be performed.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.