Sudden recurring pain in the area below heart and above kidney, sonography shows mild cystic formation over left kidney. Suggestion?

Question
FOR LAST 4 DAYS MY FATHER (62 YEARS) IS SUFFERING FROM SUDDEN SPIKE OF PAIN , RECURRING EVERY COUPLE OF MINUTES,IN THE REGION BETWEEN BELOW HEART AND ABOVE KIDNEY. WE HAVE CONSULTED MANY DOCTORS BUT NO ONE IS ABLE TO DIAGNOSE A PROPER CAUSE OF PAIN. ALL TEST REPORTS ARE NORMAL, ONLY SONO GRAPHY SHOWS MILD CYSTIC FORMATION OVER LEFT KIDNEY . PLEASE ADVICE,
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Kidney Conditions

Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 3 hours later

Hypertriglyceridemia and mild unilateral renal cyst are enough reasons to investigate further. I understand that you have done best for your father by attending many consultations. The pain on the skin area does not point correspondingly with the organ underneath. Every visceral organ has its own distribution of pain on the skin area and follows a neurological distribution pattern unique to that organ. So, do not think that your father's pain is due to some organ in between heart and kidney.

Yes, diagnosis is important for any management, but you will have to understand that medically if a diagnosis is not made in tough cases, then a differential diagnoses are made and treatment planned accordingly.

An initial list of investigations basically would be required for me to even comment what those diagnostic possibilities are. They include
•     Complete blood picture
•     ESR
•     Serum creatinine and urea
•     Alkaline phosphatase etc.
You have not mentioned or attached any reports. If they are extensive, then just write to me with the latest results of whatever you have done. You can upload the reports in the section on the right hand side or you can email them to me at YYYY@YYYY with Attention to Dr. Charugulla in the subject line.
I would also need his complete history of that pain as logged by your doctor.
As this is not completely possible in here, I would suggest you take a consultation of a XXXXXXX gastroenterologist. Hyderabad has one of the best hospitals for gastroenterology and I would suggest that you consult a physician in them. Contact me if needed. I will be available to guide you.
Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Sincerely,

Dr Sujeet N Charugulla, MBBS, MD
Consultant Physician.