Sudden, painful dimple appeared on buttocks. Looks like burn scar. Any ideas?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Sudden, painful dimple on top part of my left buttocks. Painful, achy, feels like it is attached to a nerve that goes to my spine. Skin over dimple looks strange, almost like a burn scar. Just noticed dent because I was rubbing the spot due to a pain. Any ideas?
Posted Sat, 27 Apr 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 47 minutes later
The sudden appearance of a dimple in the area could be due to a muscle spasm which is painful. The overlying skin color changes are likely to be due to a hematoma in the area.
Most of the times it subsides with oral muscle relaxants and hot fomentation over the affected area. Avoid rubbing as it may aggravate the XXXXXXX bleeding.
It can be due to trauma too. In other cases it can be due to slipped disc, osteoporosis, any deformity of spine , infection or growth.
In case the discoloration persists, then do consult an orthopedician for proper diagnosis and prescription medicines.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.