Sudden pain in upper back, scapula. Chest X-ray normal, advised ibuprofen. have gallstone pain also. Suggest?

Question
Sudden onset of pain in upper back, scapula last week. Suspected bad mattress. Have had it several days now. Dull ache, tightness across upper back, with sharp pain when I move "wrong," descend stairs, lift arm.
My MD sent me for chest x-ray. No abnormalities. Advised take Ibuprofin, come back in a week. It's not the pain that bothers me, it's what is causing it. Have gallstones, pain under right lower rib after eating. Could scapula pain be radiating from another source? XXXXX
Posted Tue, 1 Oct 2013 in Back Pain

Answered by Dr. Jay Patel 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
gall stone lead to referred pain to right shoulder

Detailed Answer:

I am dr XXXXXXX and I will try my level best to address your concern.

Pain in shoulder is caused by various reasons.

1) Lung issues
2) vertebral disk issues
3) gall stone can lead to referred pain to right shoulder blade.

Based on the information provided it seems like you are having an referred pain from gall stone, since the x-ray of chest shows no issue (the suspicion of lungs issues was a cause to have x-ray chest)

So its more likely to be referred pain from gall stone. And the current treatment is perfect for such issues.

Thanks for the query, please feel free to contact me in case of further concerns.
Dr XXXXXXX XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Sudden pain in upper back, scapula. Chest X-ray normal, advised ibuprofen. have gallstone pain also. Suggest? 15 hours later
Thank you, Dr. XXXXXXX
Fear is strong motivator. Father, two brothers, sister died from cancer. Much concern that pain in scapula may be messenger of bad news.
Best to you!
XXXXX

Answered by Dr. Jay Patel 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I understand your fear. Nothing serious.

Detailed Answer:
Hi MrXXXXX
Welcome back, I do understand your concerns.

Your physician has taken all precaution for ruling out lung issues and more over you do not have any spine problems so the remaining option is gall stone pain.

You have strong family history of cancer, so their may be some ongoing process in gall bladder but I still think gall stone is the cause of the pain.

Please calm down, you can request your physician to monitor gallbladder with ultrasound of abdomen and if necessary have a CT scan to rule out the slightest doubt/fear in mind.

Thanks again, as usual feel free to contact me in case of further concerns.
Dr XXXXXXX XXXXXXX