Sudden pain in left frontal shoulder. Take nasal spray. Related?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
no chronic conditions. I take no medications at all except 2 nasal allergy medications daily. It seems every few seconds I feel a sudden pain in my left frontal shoulder. I was working in the garden today. One of the things I did was pull a very heavy medal stake out of the ground. Do you think that could be the cause. Or is it my heart? I have no heart problems as of this date. I'm experiencing a stabbing pain in my left upper shoulder.
Posted Thu, 24 Oct 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Possibly due to Soft tissue strain.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

Most possibly, your pain in the shoulder could be due to a soft tissue strain which might have resulted during the act of pulling the heavy object.

The general treatment guidelines are as follows -

* REST - It is important to rest following the injury to allowed the inflamed soft tissue to properly heal. Avoid any activity that produces pain
* ICE PACKING - Apply ice to the injured area in the acute phase (first 48 hours after injury), and then after activities. Ice will help calm the inflammatory response and stimulate blood flow to the area.
* ANTIINFLAMMATORY MEDICATION - Oral anti-inflammatory medications (such as Aleve or Motrin) can help relieve symptoms of pain and also calm the inflammation.
* MOIST HEAT APPLICATION - Before activities, gentle heating can help loosen the soft tissues. Apply a heat pack to the painful area prior to stretching or exercising. As a general rule of thumb, remember to heat before an activity and ice afterwards.
* STRETCHING - Gentle stretching is helpful, but it should not be painful.
* PHYSICAL THERAPY - may speed up the recovery process. Therapeutic modalities such as Ultrasound, Massaging and specific exercises will be helpful.
* LOCAL MASSAGING WITH PAIN KILLER CREAM will provide instant temporary pain relief.

If your symptoms are not resolving with the above measures, consult an orthopedic surgeon for further evaluation and management.

It is most unlikely to be of cardiac origin.

Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help further

Follow-up: Sudden pain in left frontal shoulder. Take nasal spray. Related? 8 hours later
This morning I am feeling fine. I took 2 aspirins before I contacted you and rubbed my shoulder in with "Mineral Ice" before going to bed. By the time I went to sleep last night the pain had stopped.
Thank you for responding so quickly............ XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Thanks for the appraisal.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, Nice to hear from you.

If your pain recurs (by chance), Please do follow the above mentioned recommendations.

Have a great day.