Sudden pain and swelling in the knuckle. Noticed bump on it. How to overcome this problem?

A few times now, I've Had a sudden pain in my hand(near or on the knuckle. It swells up in to a noticeable bump and is painful to touch. In a few hours it's gone and leaves a bruise with a white spot in the middle?
Posted Tue, 7 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 27 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

Before giving you any guidance on the problem I would like to know some details:
1. How long has this been happening?
2. How frequently?
3. Is it only one knuckle joint or different ones?
4. Any history of injury?
5. Any history of bleeding disorder in the family?
6. Any family history of rheumatoid disease?
The sudden pain and swelling in the knuckle is usually due to collection of fluid in the joint and over time it goes away. Bruising suggests oozing of the blood. I would suggest that you consult a doctor who shall examine the area, order appropriate investigations and proceed with the management.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarifications or would like to share more facts.

Wishing you an early recovery.

Rajiv K Khandelwal