Sudden onset of chills and shivering. Is this a sign of an illness?

suden chills and shaking. was fine minues earlier
Posted Thu, 21 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 8 minutes later
Brief Answer: Could be the onset of fever. Detailed Answer: Hello Ms XXXX, Thanks for the question. A sudden onset of chills and shivering/shaking could indicate that you might be developing a fever. A sudden rise in the set point in the temperature regulation area of the brain leads to this chills and shaking, it is a mechanism to produce more body heat which is what generally happens at the onset of fever. I suggest you wait it out for half an hour to 1 hour, by then the chills and shivering would stop, as the body temperature increase to the new set point. You can check your temperature to confirm this. In case you need further information I would request you to kindly write back with more details. I hope this answers your question. Wishing you good health and speedy recovery. Regards,
Follow-up: Sudden onset of chills and shivering. Is this a sign of an illness? 12 minutes later
thanks you seam to be correct. patent resting quietly. thank closeing.
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 7 minutes later
Brief Answer: You are most welcome. Detailed Answer: Hello again, Thank you for choosing us for your health concern. I am delighted to be of some help. Check the temperature and confirm for yourself. For the fever you can give paracetamol as required. For adults 500 or 650 mg thrice a day would suffice. If the fever persists for more than 3 days, you might need to pay a visit to your family doctor. Thanks again for accepting my answer, it always brightens my day to help patients. Wishing your dear one a speedy recovery. Warm regards.
Follow-up: Sudden onset of chills and shivering. Is this a sign of an illness? 24 hours later
temperture spiking to 103.3.
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 4 minutes later
Brief Answer: You can give Paracetamol/Tylenol. Detailed Answer: Hi, You should give paracetamol 650 mg, and if the temperature doesn't come down, I would suggest you to do tepid sponging till it comes down to normal. Is the temperature continues or if there are other associated symptoms I would request you to consult your local doctor for a complete examination and proper investigations. Regards