Sudden nausea, dizziness, rapid heart rate and shaking. What is causing this?

I was ready to go into the shower when a sudden onset of nauesa, dizziness, rapid heart rate & shaking occurred. This has never happened to me before. What's happening? It's been 40 mins and still the same.
Posted Sun, 3 Mar 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

In the normal heart beat, the signal or current starts at a specific point of the heart , travel along a specific pathway to stimulate the rest of the heart. Some persons may experience an increase in the rate or rhythm of the heart beat, this is felt as palpitations.
This can occur if (1)there is increased stimulation at the point where the current starts (2) if the stimulus starts at an abnormal part of the heart (3) if the current travels along a different pathway than normal or there is any blockage on the normal pathway (4) if there are any structural problems with the heart

When the heart beats at an abnormal rhythm or rate, as your is doing, it can cause the other symptoms you are experiencing because the blood supply to the brain and other organs are affected.

The cause of palpitations are numerous and include: (1) anemia (2) high levels of thyroid hormone (3) side effect of medication (4) acute illness or fever (5) anxiety (6) structural problems with the heart (7) caffeine use (8) idiopathic - the cause is unknown

You should, if possible, consider visiting your doctor. He or she may suggest blood tests (to check the blood count and thyroid hormone level) and an ECG. An ECG can give information on the rhythm, rate of the heart beat and also on the size of the heart and presence of any blockages in the blood vessels. If the one time ECG does not show any abnormal rate or rhythm and you are still having symptoms then a holter which is basically 24 hr ECG may be suggested.

Any further investigations would be done based on these results

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow-up: Sudden nausea, dizziness, rapid heart rate and shaking. What is causing this? 5 hours later

Thank you for your response.

A few days ago (literally 4 days ago) I had a blood test, it covered everything it was one of those yearly checkups, the results all came back really good so I'm fit as a fiddle, no anemia, no thyroid problems, no cholesterol, blood count was normal etc. having said that, do you think I should attend to my doctors surgery anyway & advise of what's happened? or could this be a one off thing?

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 5 hours later
It is possible since you had a recent check up, that it is one off. There are persons who experience one episode of an arrhythmia (abnormal heart beat) and never have any future problems.
However, if it reoccurs then it would definitely be best that you visit your doctor.

Please feel free to ask any other questions