Sudden loss in hearing. Test results normal. Treatment advise?

ENT Specialist
My Sister Suddenly lost hearing ability , after doing all test which includes BERA test , doctor said everything is normal. But she is not able to hear anything , reason they said was due to pshyscologial problem, My question is this kind of situation usually happens and is it reversible and what is the treatment to bring back her hearing .
Posted Sat, 18 May 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Ravinder Sharma 9 hours later

I am Dr Ravinder Sharma ENT surgeon

On the basis of the information provided it appears that your sister has normal hearing. As BERA is a objective test and normal BERA suggests that patient has normal hearing. As the stimulus given is a tone at specific frequency and intensity to the patient and a waveform shows a response. If the response is there it means patient has normal hearing .

Sometimes patient may have neural hearing loss and patient may be able to hear tones but is unable to understand words. This can be tested by measuring speech discrimination score.

At times some of the psychological stressors - like problems at work place or problem in personal life may manifest in this way. I would advise you for a psychological work up by a psychaitrist too before coming on the some conclusion.

If it is normal hearing and the psychological stressor decreases or diminishes she may be able to hear in future

Treatment can be decided after psychological evaluation

I hope this answers your concern. Feel free to contact me if you need more information about it

with regards
Ravinder Sharma